click here 



A fully rigged clipper ship. Per 1 (Norwood page in 'white Wings'), 2 (1862 voyage to Western Australia, with convicts), 3 (1867 'convict' voyage to Western Australia), 4 (1872 stranding, ex 'Nautical Magazine' for 1872). 160 ft. 0 in. long, a passenger ship, signal letters H.B.G.S. Not listed at Miramar. Early Lloyd's Registers list where & when a ship was built, but do not list who built it. Such is the case with Norwood, & the WWW has not so far identified the yard from which she came. Maybe in the fullness of time that data will emerge.

The vessel was in the 1856/57 register stated to be owned by 'Lusc'mbe', of London, which means, I believe, 'Messrs J. H. Luscombe', & maybe J. H. Luscombe means 'John Henry Luscombe', who lived at Upper Norwood, in S. London. They were the owners thru to the early 1870s. It would appear that Frank Bristow was Norwood's captain for approx. 15 years, from about 1856 to 1870, when 'Glennie' became her captain. The vessel was chartered to Shaw Savill & Co. for a number of years, but I have read no specifics. The vessel would seem to have sailed many times to Australia & New Zealand but not only to that part of the world. As an example, on Mar. 10, 1860, the vessel left Hong Kong for Georgetown, Guyana, with 316 indentured immigrants (to work in the sugar cane fields), 14 of whom died on the passage, 'from, it is said, the excessive use of opium'. The vessel was, in 1860, converted at the last moment, to carry soldiers. And on Nov. 25, 1860, the vessel left Deal, Kent, for Auckland, New Zealand, with 281 people all told aboard, including Captain Mercer's company of artillery, with its seven Armstrong guns, (one of which was on display in Albert Park, Auckland), there to quell the Maoris. It arrived on Mar. 4, 1861 after a passage of 99 days.

On Mar. 16, 1862, Norwood left Portland, Dorset, for Swan River Colony (Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia) with 92 passengers & 290 convicts. And arrived at Fremantle, on Jun. 9, 1862, after a passage of 85 days. Upon their arrival, the convicts worked on public works, building roads, bridges etc. The vessel arrived again at Auckland on Aug. 5, 1863, 112 days out of Spithead (River Solent, Portsmouth), with, amongst its passengers, 124 men of the 18th Royal Irish Regiment. And on Aug. 11, 1866 she again arrived at Auckland, with cargo & just 65 passengers, ex Gravesend (Apl. 28), after a voyage in which she struck a hurricane & was extensively damaged. She returned to Spithead & arrived there on Jan. 29, 1867 (70 days), with, amongst her passengers, men of the 1st Battery of the Royal Artillery. On Apl. 18, 1867, the vessel left Portland, for Swan River Colony, on its 2nd 'convict' voyage, with 81 passengers & 253 convicts - described as long-sentenced men, mainly from the gaols at Chatham. The vessel arrived at Fremantle on Jul. 13, 1867 after a voyage of 86 days.

The Prisoners had a daily routine.

Do read the crimes for which those convicts were convicted - not all the crimes were major & many were guilty of merely being a pickpocket! But ... the subject is not that simple! On Mar. 20, 1872, a vessel named Norwood, of London, was stranded at Bombay, India. It most probably was this vessel. And survived the stranding. The webmaster has a number of Lloyd's Registers available from the period (but not all of them). In the 1873/74 register, T. & A. Carter, of London, was stated to be the owner. The vessel must have soon been sold because, in the 1874/75 edition, the owner had become H. Wake, of London. And in 1878/79 edition, the owner was J. Bonus & Sons, also of London. The first available register in which the vessel is not recorded is the 1880/81 edition. What happened to the ship? It would seem that it stranded, in 1878 perhaps, as per the final Lloyd's Register entry

Back to Edwin Abbott Page